225th General Assembly (2022)
Nomination of Commissioners to the (Hybrid In-Person/On-Line)
2022 General Assembly
Grace and Peace, brothers and sisters of the National Capital Presbytery.
The upcoming General Assembly will be very different from the traditional in-person Assembly, and even from the 224th General Assembly, which was held online in June 2020. The docket adopted by COGA provides that all Assembly meetings will be held between Saturday, June 18, and Saturday, July 9. Please read the following information carefully to discern if you can serve as a commissioner.
Planning Time for Assembly Meetings
The meetings of the 225th General Assembly will be a blend between in-person Assembly committee meetings held at the Presbyterian Center in Louisville and online plenaries convened via Zoom.
How will this work?
All Assembly meetings will be held between Friday, June 17, 2022, and Saturday, July 9, 2022. Commissioners and advisory delegates are asked to hold this full block of time until they have been notified of their Assembly committee assignment. Assembly committee assignment and specific dates for travel to Louisville will be distributed on or about Feb. 28, 2022. Requests to change committee assignments due to scheduling conflicts or other preferences cannot be honored due to the committee assignment requirements of the GA Standing Rules.
What are the time commitments for commissioners and advisory delegates while in Louisville for Assembly committee meetings?
Teaching elders and ruling elders considered for election as commissioners must be able to be in attendance for the duration of the General Assembly (SR B.1.c.). This will mean a considerable commitment of time to participate fully in both in-person and online meetings that will make up this Assembly.
• Most commissioners and advisory delegates will spend four nights and three full days in Louisville for Assembly committee meetings.
• There will be some commissioners assigned to four specific committees who will have an additional two days and nights in Louisville so that they can constitute the in-person quorum required for Plenary 1.
• While in Louisville, commissioners and advisory delegates should expect to spend up to 12 hours each day (including breaks) in Assembly committee meetings and other Assembly events.
• Meals and lodging during this time will be provided through the per capita budget.
What are the time commitments for the Zoom online plenary sessions?
• During the online plenaries on Saturday, June 18, 2022, and Tuesday, July 5, 2022, through Saturday, July 9, 2022, commissioners and advisory delegates should expect to spend up to 12 hours each day (including breaks) in worship, plenary gatherings and other Assembly functions. Each day will begin with worship at 11 a.m. (EDT).
• Commissioners and advisory delegates should make plans to be present for the full day on each of these days, as if attending a meeting out of town. Presbyteries are encouraged to make plans3 to gather their commissioners and advisory delegates in person for plenary meetings when possible
Nomination forms for Teaching Elder, Ruling Elder Commissioners to the 225th General Assembly are now posted (see navigation bar). Nomination forms for the Young Adult Advisory Delegates (YAADs) are also posted. These forms can ONLY be submitted electronically. No paper copies will be accepted. Criteria for nominations from NCP to the General Assembly can be found here.
It is the mandate of the Presbytery to nominate commissioners who reflect the theological diversity as well as the social diversity that exists in our presbytery. The information provided on these forms helps the Nominating committee assure an appropriate balance of theological diversity; clergy and lay people; male and female; all ages; racial/ethnic groups; geographical area; and congregation sizes.
• All applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, attached as a word document or pdf. The file should be named [LAST NAME]GAapp
• All candidates must also attach a picture, named [LAST NAME]GApic
• Clergy may submit forms on their own. Letters of recommendation are not required but may be submitted if desired.
• Elders and those seeking to be YAADs will complete the form and send it electronically to their Clerk or Moderator of Session. The Clerk or Moderator shall complete and submit the form electronically after the Session has endorsed the nomination.
• At least one (and up to three) reference forms for Ruling Elders and YAADs are to be submitted electronically by the person writing the recommendation to email@example.com.
Transportation to the General Assembly, and room and board are reimbursed for commissioners and YAADS in accordance with General Assembly policy. A Dependent Care Reimbursement Policy was developed for commissioners and advisory delegates to the General Assembly – beginning with the 222nd GA (2016). Follow this link for info: https://www.pcusa.org/resource/dependent-care-reimbursement-policy-commissioners-/
All forms are due by October 15, 2021. The Nominating Committee will post the slate of commissioners and delegates online by October 23, 2021. Anyone who is not nominated at that point, and wishes to be nominated from the floor must submit a completed form to the Presbytery office by November 2, two weeks before the November 16th presbytery meeting.
If you have questions about this process, please contact me at R.E.Landers@gmail.com or call the presbytery office. We anticipate a larger than usual number of applicants this year, so whether or not you are selected, we thank you for your willingness to serve the church in this special way.
Rev. Rachel Landers Vaagenes,
NCP Nominating Committee Chair