Bush Hill Presbyterian Church has a long-standing tradition of musical excellence in worship. The singing choirs, hand bell choirs, instrumentalists, and soloists lead worshipers through expressive service music, inspired anthems, and vibrant hymn singing. A variety of musical styles from traditional to contemporary are woven into the worship experience. The music program offers opportunities for all ages to serve God through fellowship and spiritual expression.
The Létourneau pipe organ, installed in 1995, supports congregational singing at Bush Hill with over 1,200 pipes located in a beautiful case in the rear of the sanctuary.
The Music Director shall:
- Work cooperatively with the Pastor, as head of staff, and the worship committee to coordinate the music program for the worship services and the planning and development of a total music program designed to augment the ministry of the Word and the Christian Education program of the Church. This will include special services and music events, e.g., Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, weddings, funerals.
- Provide organ and/or piano music as required for the regular weekly worship services of the church and for other special services, such as weddings and funerals, as requested or approved by the Session in a way that supports the congregation’s musical participation and includes a wide range of musical styles.
- Conduct regular rehearsals and provide accompaniment of the Adult Choir and direct the choir for rehearsals and at regular/special services as approved by Session.
- Encourage, provide guidance for, and schedule other musical groups that emerge from the congregation to encourage music-making from our members.
- Arrange for special musicians as needed within constraints of the budget.
- Arrange for vacation replacement and absences.
- Oversee the care of instruments (organ, bells, pianos.)
- Attend scheduled staff meetings.
- Submit to the church office details of all instrumental music in time for inclusion in each worship bulletin.
- Present to the Worship Committee a proposed annual budget for the Music Program of the Church.
- Ability to teach and inspire a choir that has differing levels of musical talent and knowledge.
- Enthusiasm and joy for choral singing, for song and for music, infectious spirit.
- Good leadership skills to work with people through good organization and good communication.
- Excellent sense of humor, flexible and patient.
- Openness to a wide variety of musical styles.
HOURS REQUIRED: Up to 20 hours per week.
Report to the Pastor, as Head of Staff, and is accountable to Session through the Worship Committee and the Personnel Committee.
Meet annually with Personnel Committee to assess year’s program
- Salary and benefits as negotiated with the worship committee and Session
- Annual vacation of two weeks’ vacation per year (or as negotiated)
CONTACT INFORMATION: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Job Category||Other Positions (including administrative)|