Falls Church Presbyterian Church (FCPC) is seeking a salaried Director of Music to provide creative
leadership for its long-established, well-supported music program in an average 20 hour per week
position, working in collaboration with a salaried, professional organist/accompanist and a
volunteer adult choir with paid section leaders.
● At FCPC, we believe that God has called us to an alternative, counter-cultural way of being
together: sharing God’s love, acceptance and hope through concrete acts of love and service to
those who most need to experience it. We sometimes say that we are a place for recovering
perfectionists, so we constantly remind ourselves that the good news of Jesus Christ is that we
don’t need to do or be more, but through the astounding grace of God, we are already enough. We
welcome all to membership, participation and service and are a member of the Covenant Network of
Presbyterians who work to encourage and engage LGBTQ+ people in the work of the church.
● Located on the main street of Falls Church, VA, our lovely stone edifice is a landmark on Broad
Street. The original building dates to 1884 and has been artfully expanded several times. We are
a mid-sized church of approximately 450 members and host two services each Sunday, with both in
person and online streaming. Our sanctuary is on one level with a center aisle. The chancel choir
sings from banked pews facing the congregation at the front of the sanctuary.
● Through the work of five ministry teams – Worship, Spiritual Growth, Justice, Mercy, and
Community Building – we coordinate and engage in missional outreach to our members and to the
broader community. Our members are broadly resident throughout the City of Falls Church and the
broader Fairfax and Arlington county areas of Northern Virginia.
About our Music Program:
● FCPC is known for its long tradition of musical excellence and the substantial resources it
commits to the support of its music program. We currently support a Chancel Choir, and have in the
past also had a contemporary ensemble, children’s and youth choirs. Our organ, a four-manual digital
Allen with 44 channels and antiphonal, was installed and voiced in 2009 by Jordan Kitt’s Music. The
chancel area also accommodates a Yamaha grand piano and sufficient space for an ensemble of
additional musicians and instruments for special festivals, concerts and holiday musical
productions. The church has a dedicated choir room and rehearsal space with another grand piano.
FCPC also owns a five-octave set of Schulmerich Handbells.
● Sunday worship services include a service held in Fellowship Hall at 8:30 AM and a traditional
service in the sanctuary at 10:45 AM. Music at the early service is more informal, usually led by
a pianist and a solo song leader. At the later service, music is
typically more traditional and led, during the program year from September through May,
by the Chancel Choir with the organist. Both services are live-streamed weekly on our website,
Facebook Live, You Tube, and through Sermon.net Media Center. We are undertaking a major upgrade in
our audio-live streaming capabilities.
● Additional information about the church and its various programs, including music, can be found
The candidate we seek is –
● A positive and creative professional who is passionate about the joy and gift of church music.
● A team player who collaborates well with other church staff and professionals, including a
highly accomplished and experienced organist/accompanist, and an adult choir of volunteers and paid
● A confident leader who welcomes input and suggestions while leading with vision and creativity
and who enjoys and fosters the fun, inspiration, and challenge that come with making and
experiencing good church music.
● Someone who can engage the church community to bring out the musical talents we have and grow
participation in the music program.
● Familiar with traditional liturgical music and understands and appreciates the breadth of
sacred musical tradition and the variety of musical styles, both old and new.
The Qualifications/Education/Experience we desire include –
● Undergraduate or graduate degree in music or music education
● 3-5 years experience, preferably working with music in a church setting
● Experience and training in choral directing and vocal skills
● All qualified candidates, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, age, or disability,
will receive equal consideration.
● This is a part-time salaried position averaging 20-22 hours per week with an annual
compensation of $35-45,000 commensurate with experience. Benefits are provided, including a health
insurance allowance (paid monthly) and access to a 403b retirement savings account
● Three weeks of paid vacation per year
● Annual allowance for continuing education, and
● Standard FICA contributions.
● Summer/Fall 2022
● Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. We will be
considering applications as they are received and will begin initial conversations with candidates
starting in June 2022.
● The complete job description for this position may be found at here.
|Job Category||Other Positions (including administrative)|